Friday, March 6, 2015

Jimjilbang/Korean Spa

This is something I was really looking forward to after frequenting the Olympic Spa in Lynnwood for the past few years. Korean Spas are ubiquitous and fortunately for me the one in my neighborhood (Blue Spa) is located just across the street from my apartment building.  Cost is $7 and includes shorts/top/locker key.  This allows access to the hot/cold pools and steam/dry saunas and all the facilities photographed below.  I do not have photos of the actual bathing/pool areas because it's weird enough being a foreigner in the spa, but to pull out a camera where a bunch of naked women are bathing might just get me 86ed from the place!  The body scrub is the real thing with the ajummas (older Korean women) scrubbing so hard that if you have your eyes closed you might think you're skin is bleeding! I actually lost three tenths of a pound after I was finished! The price for the scrub is $22.  The full treatment includes scrub/massage/cucumber facial and lasts about 50 minutes for $60. They have other packages at $100 and $120 but I don't know what that'll get ya. I had my face/eyebrows threaded for $15 and that was cool. There are not many cheap things to do in Korea so I love my jimjilbang especially since temperatures have been below freezing for months.

This spa was built in the 90s as was my whole planned community.  It's a bit dated compared to a lot of spas, but it is so convenient and clean that I don't venture out to too many others.
Lockers

Jimjilbangs often take up several floors in a building.  This stairwell leads to the a coed area.

Even a playroom/daycare for children.

Restaurant.

Restaurant.  TVs are all over the relaxing coed floor.

Workout room.

Lots of space to just lay around and nap. I like the jazz mural in the background.

Computer/gaming room.

Awe, the massage chairs. $2 for 20 min and oh so gratifying! 

Each mineral room has a temp gauge above the door.  They also have big TVs enclosed in glass so you can sweat and watch a cooking show!

This is my favorite. Little red pebbles form to your body and comfort every inch of skin.  They're like quicksand!

Another warm room to rest.

And pong too. I should say table tennis, they take it seriously here!

View from the workout room, my neighborhood.

This one will heat you up in no time! It's like a miniature world entrance.

More ping pong.

The cafe' has smoked eggs, smoothies, chips and ramen of course! Koreans bring this food/drink into the hot rooms.

Yup, if ya wanna cig you can go into this room.

Reading room.

Trying to show you the outfit they gave me.

You can buy toiletries and clothing too.


Yeah, that's my just -woke- up look! Putting my shoes in the first locker then off to the clothing locker.

Notice the half circle with the three flames on the lower signage. This indicates a spa.  Just walk around any neighborhood and you can spot the spa. They are all 24 hours. For an extra ten or twelve bucks you can stay overnight...seriously!

Here's the outside of the building.  Look up and you'll see the flame.

No comments:

Post a Comment